Parents can either choose to volunteer their time at an event/ and or becoming involved in one of our committees, or alternatively pay a deposit which will be cashed at the end of the season in lieu of volunteering. However, getting involved is a great way to meet other ski families and develop a community that is focused on encouraging our children to be their best.
VOLUNTEER POSITIONS AVAILABLE
If you feel that your gifts, talents and time could be used in support of our ski club, we would be happy to hear from you!
Parent Liaison: 1 Parent Required for Each Division (U10A & older)
- Commitment: 1-2 hours per month during ski season
- Role: Liaise between coaches and parents (best suited for a parent at least 2nd year in the club)
- Send texts/emails to parents regarding upcoming events/races
- Organize group rate for hotels when at other hills
- Great opportunity to meet other parents in your child’s program.
Social Committee Member: 8-10 Parents Required
- Commitment: 4-6 hrs per month from Oct-April
- Role: Helps with the coordination of our annual Ski Gala/ Social Events.
- Various positions within the committee including organizing social events, fundraising, decorating, etc. Help with a little or help a lot – it is all appreciated.
- Fun filled position in which your inner Martha Stewart/ party planner can shine!
Raffle Coordinator: 1 Parent Required
- Commitment: Approx. 10 hours over a 6 week period
- Role: To organize our yearly ski club raffle.
- Solicit grand prizes, apply for gaming license, print and distribute tickets to members.
- Collect all tickets and arrange from draw.
- Complete gaming report after the draw.
- This is an important fundraiser for our organization which helps with the purchase of equipment, keeping and hiring great coaches for our members and keep our costs down.
Race Day Volunteers: Numerous Parents!
- Commitment: 2-4 hrs on race days
- Role: Various. Everything from making sandwiches for volunteers, to writing race down times, corralling race participants, to collecting bibs, etc.
- Our races are a great way to learn more about ski racing, and cheer our teams on and enjoy time with our ski community.
Racer Account Manager: 1 Parent Required
- Commitment: 4-6 hours per month during ski season
- Role: Tracks racer account balances for the U12 and up racers.
- Receive reports from coaches, record entries into Quicken and track balances.
- No accounting/bookkeeping experience necessary. If you can type – we want you!
Big White Blazers Coordinator: 1 Parent Required
- Commitment: 3-4 hrs/week from Nov thru to April
- Role: To recruit members (through advertising and the Ski Swap), organize teams and coaches (for programs, camps, races, hot lunch program) and communicate with coaches and families throughout the year.
- This is a key role in the club and works closely with the Head Coach of the Blazers program and the BWSC board members.
Graphic Design: 1 Parent Required
- Commitment: 2-4 hrs/mth throughout the year
- Role: To create compelling looking marketing materials that highlight our kid’s awesomness!
- Duties: Create banners for our website, newsletter templates, ski gala posters and other marketing materials as needed.
- Your creative flare and talents will be put to great use and much appreciated.
Media Relations: 1 Parent Required
- Commitment: 2-4 hrs/ mth during ski season
- Role: To let the world know about our amazingly talented kids.
- Collect information from parent reps regarding race times and podium positions.
- Write and distribute press releases to the media.
- Put your writing talents and connections to great use. Our kids deserve it!
Bookkeeping: 1 Parent Required
- Commitment: 8-10 hrs per month
- Role: To assist the Treasurer with the financial records of the Big White Ski Club.
- General book keeping using Quickbooks, input data, generate financial statements and reconcile accounts.
- WOW – are we glad to have your help!
Website Administrator: 1 Parent Required
- Commitment: 1-3 hrs/week throughout the year (more in September/October)
- Role: To keep our website and social media sites updated with our current program offerings.
- Liaise with Board members and coaches to update website content, Instagram and Facebook pages.
- No coding experience necessary. We use a site template that is easy to manage and update.
Cabin Manager: 1 Parent Required
- Commitment: 2-4 hrs/mth during ski season
- Role: Organize cabin crews (parent volunteers) and maintain ski club cabin.
- Set up weekly cleaning schedule of parent volunteers, fix/coordinate repairs, shovel snow and check on and ensure the club cabin is locked.
- Perfect for that handy kind of guy or gal.
Corporate Sponsorship Committee Member: 2 Parents Required
- Commitment: 2-4 hrs/mth
- Role: To seek funding from corporate community members.
- Solicit businesses for donations through our sponsorship program or for individual events (pub nights, golf tournament, ski gala, etc)
- Got connections? We would love to have them (and you) support our club and the ability to develop great skiers.
National Sports Trust Fund Representative: 1 Parent Required
- Commitment: 4 hours per season
- Duties: Correspond with the National Sports Trust Foundation to track any deposits made to the Big White Ski Club.
Grant Researcher: 1 Parent Required
- Commitment: 8 hours throughout the season
- Role: To research and apply for ski club grants
- Search monthly on the internet for possible grants for coaches, equipment, events, building projects
- October: Apply for RBC Sports Day grant for hosting Big White Blazers open house
- December: Apply for Grant in Aid from the Regional District of Kootenay Boundary Area E Director Vicki Gee. ($2500 donated in 2014/15)
- Nov- January: Apply to Viasport for event money for races
- February: Apply for BC Gaming Money
- Put your amazing internet search abilities to great use!
Registrar: 1 Parent (2 year commitment) Required
- Commitment: Varies throughout the year from 1-2 hrs/ to 16 hrs. per month
- Role: Registrar is responsible for the registration of all programs above the Entry Levels – U12, U14, U16, U18, Ski Cross, Masters, Officials and Volunteers
- May / June: 1 – 2 hours coordinating FIS registrations with Program Director
- Late August: 8 hours, updating and preparing registration site, answer emails
- September: 4 hours / week, updating registrations, communications, payments etc
- October: 4 hours / week, updating registrations, communications, payments etc
- November: 2-3 hours / week, finalize all information, answer emails etc
- December: assist EL Registrar if / as needed
- January: assist EL Registrar if / as needed
- February – June: minimal time
- Ski Swap – key weekend for registration of U12+ and payments